Have you ever had one of those days where everything that could go wrong does? You are so utterly exhausted by the end of the day, you can’t wait to crawl into bed and hide beneath the covers for the night. THAT is what slump week Feels like, but the difference is that you wake up feeling that way. Who wants to get out of bed then?
If you are going through slump week, it’s important to remember …
This Too Shall Pass.
As I was trying to think of analogies to use to explain slump week yesterday, I came up with a list of things that make most people very uncomfortable or that they dread doing. If you are trying to explain what slump week is to someone and are at a loss for examples, use one of these? Just remember to explain that it’s the FEELINGS, that they experience, it doesn’t mean any of these things will happen.
- Starting a new job, and being at the bottom of the totem pole. Not knowing the jargon everyone is using and feeling completely lost.
- Putting away groceries in someone else’s kitchen
- Having to call an automated phone line and after pushing 32 buttons finally reaching a live person that doesn’t speak your language, or being disconnected, or told you’ve reached the wrong number. Now repeat!
- Writing a 2000 word essay or blog post but forgetting to hit save.
- Trying to start writing again and losing electricity, or internet service
- Going to a friend’s house to borrow their computer, and they have a MAC when you are a Windows Pro
- Finally figuring out how to use their Mac, retyping your work and forgetting to hit save again
- Deciding you need a vacation, packing for a weekend away and not realizing until you arrive that all the pants you packed are your significant others (who is 2 sizes smaller than you)
- While you are on vacation, wearing the only pair of pants that fit you, needing to use the bathroom in public, and the only person to ask where they are located doesn’t speak English. While charades can be fun, it is not when the pee is already running down your leg.
I know that this list is not all inclusive, but as I said it’s a start. Maybe it will help you think of an example to describe the feeling behind slump week. Maybe it will help you realize that everyone has “bad days”. Maybe, hopefully, it brought a smile to your face.
Yesterday was definitely a slump day for me. (Yah IV on Wednesday) By noon, I wanted to crawl back in bed and I had only been awake for a couple of hours. I thought taking a shower might help me have a better outlook on the day. (I needed to shave my legs anyway and then I could say I accomplished something for the day)
So imagine this…. you are me….
Once you get in the shower, you realize you don’t have shaving cream. Ok, you will make do with soap. Crap you forgot to change the blade on your razor (or forgot to bring it with you in the first place.) So now you have to get out of the shower (yes you already got in and had the water running), but you forgot to grab a towel and the bath mat is in the washer…… you carefully navigate across your tile floor to the drawer where you keep your razor blades , change the blade and get back in the shower. Only to realize, Yes your forgot your towel again. SMH. Again, frustrating but manageable.
If you have a SMH (shaking my head) moment you would like to share, please do! I love meeting and talking to new people. (It helps you not feel so alone) 🙂 Also, feel free to add my on Facebook if you want to hear more. Remember, I am Graceful….not! (Grace Fullnot) on Facebook.