*please be advised before reading this…This post contains foul language and a dose of sarcasm*
It never fails, the question will always come up, often more than once. You may be filling out paperwork for Social Security, medical leave for an employer, or some insensitive asshat comes home from work and says, “Well I worked all day, what did you do?” Or “Why didn’t you get that done?”
Let me start with the basic “easy” answer. I HAVE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
For me, this means:
I have doctor appointments EVERY week, sometimes EVERY DAY of EVERY week dealing with whatever the most pressing issue for the week is. These “issues” include:
- Urinary and Bowel Incontinence (most often in public of course)
- Balance and ambulatory difficulties (numb and extremely heavy legs, and almost 0 core muscles.)
- Short term memory issues and other cognitive fogginess
- Depression….who would have guessed?
When I am not AT a doctor appointment, I deal with Insurance Companies and pharmacies on a weekly basis. This includes:
- Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul
- Applying for various drug companies financial aid programs. (My copay for Tysabri is $1000.00 a month. This is after Medicare is billed $33,000 each month.)
- Calling doctors to ask them to fill out additional paperwork for the insurance company to explain the necessity for the drug. (even though I have been taking most of the same ones for the same reasons for many years.)
HEY FOLKS, there is NOT a cure for MS!!!!
I just realized that I have more contacts in my phone for medical issues than I do for friends and family 😦
Believe it or not, I also spend a lot of time trying to take care of and HELP MYSELF:
- Some form of additional physical activity each day ( walking, stretching, yoga)
- Keeping up to date with current treatments for MS symptoms
- Occasionally I even shower and Brush my teeth :P. DON”T LAUGH, some days I don’t even have the energy to do that.
So back to the original question……… “Why don’t you work?”
Here is my Angry answer:
Who says I don’t? I work harder each and every single day NOW than I ever did when I had a “full time job” working 60- 80 hours a week. Who the fuck are you to tell me I don’t work?
I wish I could go into work for a set 8 hours a day to the same place, doing the same thing, because then at least I would know what to expect. I would know that it was going to end at some point. I didn’t ask for this shit.
I feel like someone has given me the keys to an 18 wheeler and told me I had 2 days to drive a load of cattle from the state of Washington to the state of Florida. Oh I forgot to mention, I don’t know how to drive an 18 wheeler, nor do I know anything about cattle. Where is the sense in that?… but you can learn right? Yes just pencil that in on my calendar wherever you find a free spot. Please remember that it will take me twice as long to POSSIBLY retain the new information since my brain tries to store information in its plaque covered areas
I’m not asking for a “cookie” or your pity. I’m just telling you I don’t need your damn judgment either. So basically my answer to why I don’t work is……….FUCK YOU….Have a nice day!